I asked the women of GirlFriendCircles.com last week what their friendship and connection goals were for the month of January and their answers were so inspiring that I thought I'd share a few of them with you just in case you want to set an intention, too!
I've repeatedly found that those of us who are most able to move our desire for meaningful connection into actions we can take tend to feel more empowered, hopeful, and effective. I encourage you to join us and name an intention that you feel will lean you toward the frientimacy you ultimately want!
Here are tips and examples from our members:
Keep the goal do-able!
- "Setting the bar nice & easy for January. 1-2-3... 1 in-person, 2-calls, 3 notes." -- Linda
- "It looks like a busy month for me but I'll call people if I can't meet up and even just a few quick "Hi how are you" texts would be good. And then once my schedule clears a bit, I'll plan some meet-ups." -- Katherine
- "My January goal is to attend 4 social activities where I can make new contacts." -- Jennifer
- "I am going to schedule two friends dates."-- Dana
- "I am going to make plans with at least 2 different people to grab coffee/a meal this month." -- Julianna
Hold a hopeful and open attitude:
- "Start saying yes to more things!" Elizabeth
- "I will attempt to reach out to potential female friends instead of presuming they aren't looking for new friendships." Jodi
- "To be willing to share openly and authentically despite fear of attack or rejection." -- Shelly
- "I am going to be less guarded with the moms of the students I teach." -- Cynthia
- "I'm going to remind myself that connection is the opposite of loneliness. Sometimes a conversation on the phone with a friend can improve my whole day! Trying to consciously stay in contact with friends is important to me and a focus point this month." -- Candice
Choose to Take Charge of your Connection
- "I'm starting a book club! Yesterday I emailed more than a dozen friends from all over my city (I have lots of individual friends I don't see very often) to be a part of it and have already had a bunch say they're in. Now I might have to figure out how to manage if there are too many people." -- Esther
- "Continue to take initiative to invite people to get together - with current friends, as well as organizing in-person social support groups for a couple of illness groups I'm part of." -- Elizabeth
- "I can sign up for an art class and go to the sessions to meet women who enjoy creative making, ceramics, and other crafts. I can host a potluck of crafting." -- Sharon
Value the Long-Term Growth, Skills Training, and Practice!
- "I started attending Toastmasters as a guest this week. I can work on improving my communication skills." -- Denise
- "To express more of my friendship needs to my friends." -- Faith
- "Keep up with the Year of Frientimacy course and take one action step suggested in the book for January." -- T.
What a list!! If you haven't yet named your goal-- it's not too late to do so! Name one for yourself! Share it in the comments or join GirlFriendCircles.com (it's free!) and add it to our growing list!
Speaking of GFC-- here are a couple things we have going on in our friendship world this month in case any of them would serve you in your goal!
- Join GirlFriendCircles.com for FREE to meet women near you and to stay encouraged in your friendships all year long!
- Join our "2018: Year of Frientimacy" --a 13 week program where you read Frientimacy: How to Deepen Friendships for Lifelong Health and Happiness and evaluate all your relationships and put together a strategic plan for better friendships!
- Attend Shasta's New Year's Retreat in Santa Cruz, CA Jan 26-28, 2018
May we all feel inspired to do one thing this month that we feel will strengthen our friendships!